The last few weeks have been rather hard and I could not find words to express how I was feeling until I read these words today written by David...it was as if...he knew my thoughts and emotions. Thank you Jesus for your word that brings hope to hard places in life. This Psalm really does express my feelings today, every verse, every word.
My prayer as the Psalmist penned is : "Lord, please spare me so I can smile again before I am gone and exist no more."
For Jeduthun, the choir director: A psalm of David.
1. I said to myself, "I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will curb my tongue when the ungodly are around me."
2. But as I stood there in silence--not even speaking of good things--the turmoil within me grew to the bursting point.
3. My thoughts grew hot within me and began to burn, igniting a fire of words:
4 . "LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away.
5. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath."
6. We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.
7. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.
8. Rescue me from my rebellion, for even fools mock me when I rebel.
9. I am silent before you; I won't say a word. For my punishment is from you.
10. Please, don't punish me anymore! I am exhausted by the blows from your hand.
11 When you discipline people for their sins, their lives can be crushed like the life of a moth. Human existence is as frail as breath.
12. Hear my prayer, O LORD! Listen to my cries for help! Don't ignore my tears. For I am your guest-- a traveler passing through, as my ancestors were before me.
13. Spare me so I can smile again before I am gone and exist no more.